Yield: 4 servings
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 60 mL (1⁄4 c.) olive oil
- 500 mL (2 c.) Arborio rice
- 250 mL (1 c.) white wine
- 1.5–2 L (6–8 c.) vegetable broth
- 1 can organic tomato purée
- 125 mL (1⁄2 c.) nutritional yeast
- 1 box soy cream
- Cherry tomatoes to taste
- 12 spears of organic asparagus, with stalks chopped into short lengths (reserve the heads)
- 250 mL (1 c.) frozen organic peas
In a large saucepan, sauté the shallot in half the oil until tender. Add the rice and cook
for 1 minute, stirring to coat with the oil. Add the wine and reduce until almost dry.
In a second saucepan, heat the tomato purée and broth together. Add this mixture to
the rice, about a cup at a time, over medium heat, stirring frequently. When the rice has
absorbed most of the liquid, add the next cup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
After the fourth cup of broth, add the nutritional yeast and soy cream. Stir well.
Once everything is mixed together and the risotto is fully cooked, remove from heat and
add the coconut oil and vegetables. Stir until creamy. Adjust seasonings as needed.